Editorial: School still has history on its side

Since the opening of Tomball Memorial, we have found ourselves asking again and again; what separates us from them? What

keeps us on the map, against our neighbors with a brand new campus, brand new students (and more of them), and brand new

everything? The answer is simple.

Tradition.

Ask anybody out on Main Street what the local High School is, and the first that comes to mind is almost always the time-honored

Tomball High. Walk into the student publications room and you’ll see framed up on the wall our first ever issue of the Cougar Claw from 1964, and the first yearbook from ’46, and many issues in-between.

Walk into the Band Hall and take a look at the years and years of awards, piling up over time from growing excellence, every season better than the last.

The fact of the matter is, Tomball High has played a prominent role in Tomball history.

Next time you think about Memorial’s shiny new campus, just think about the stories we have that they won’t have for decades – the rich variety of alumni that have walked through these halls.

So as Memorial prepares for their first graduating class, remember the more than 100 years of students our school has sent out into the world, working hard every day to make us, Tomball High School, The Pride of Texas.