Yearbook, newspaper earn UIL awards

Student media members pose with Bud the Pie Guy at Royers Cafe in Round Top during detour on the way home from ILPC.

Student media members pose with Bud the Pie Guy at Royer’s Cafe in Round Top during detour on the way home from ILPC.

Readers of the newspaper and yearbook have long known that those programs were quality publications. Saturday, the state said the same thing.

Students earned a total of three gold medals, four silvers, two bronze and 11 honorable mentions at the ILPC journalism workshop, held at the University of Texas.

“The newspaper and yearbook at THS has been doing groundbreaking work, and it’s important to remember that this work is done entirely by high school students,” advisor Jerry Fordyce said. “These kids are producing great material and facing difficult deadlines, while still dealing with the same workload as other students.”

For newspaper, editor Leanne Haas picked up honorable mentions in Editorial Writing and In-Depth News Story. Sports editor. Leandra Carty won honorable mention for online Sports Action story. Feature editor Micaela Lapeer took silver for Personal Opinion Column, while last year’s co-editor, Rain Shanks, got bronze for Computer Art. Tech editor Drew Gilman took both an honorable mention and a bronze medal for Cartoons, while Hayley Beebe won gold in that category.

Yearbook did very well, especially the photographers. Odalis Sanchez took gold in Student Life Photo, while Nicole Rowse took honorable mention. Alina Nuessing took gold in Academic Photo, and Rowse took second in Sports Action.

Jennifer Montalbano took silver for Portrait Photo, while Jessica Neidigk got honorable mention. Sanchez also got an honorable mention for Sports Feature.

The yearbook staff also took medals for Secondary Graphic Coverage, Captions and Index Spread.

The broadcast team also brought home a medal as KTHS-TV anchor Kyle Emmott took silver in Anchor Presentation.

In addition, both programs received national recognition recently.

The newspaper got good news this week from the American Scholastic Press Association, which named it a first-place finisher in its annual newspaper ratings.

It is the second time the newspaper has earned this national recognition.

The yearbook, meanwhile, had the cover of its 2013 book named to Balfour Publishing’s Yearbook Yearbook, a national publication that recognizes the best high school yearbook work.

That cover, designed by Katie Naiser, featured the word “AMPLIFIED” on a black background.

“To be recognized here, a yearbook isn’t just good, it’s great,” said Balfour’s director of marketing, Mike Cobb.