Tomball STAGE remains district champs

STAGE UIL one act play advances to bi-district competition
The+Tomball+STAGE+UIL+one+act+play+team+pose+for+photo+holding+the+district+advancing+award+
The Tomball STAGE
The Tomball STAGE UIL one act play team pose for photo holding the district advancing award

The Tomball Stage has yet again placed first place at the district competition this previous weekend.

Last year, Stage placed first in the district competition, making this two consecutive wins. Not only did Stage place first, but many students were recognized and received individual awards.

• Senior Elizabeth Northway won Best Performer
  • Senior Gaby Velazquez for All Star Cast
  • Senior Maryhelen Bucklin received Honorable Mention
  • Senior Ella Caouette received Best Technician

All four of these students have been working very hard and have been involved for the theater program for many years. President of Tomball Stage senior Elizabeth Northway, not only won best performer, but is heading to state for theatrical design, a separate Academic UIL competition.

“I was really shocked at first because I had no idea that it was gonna be me, I was really proud of myself because it gave me a big confidence boost,” Northway said. “I was really thankful for Mr. Cottom and Mrs. Hearn for supporting me and directing me, and of coarse my parents for keeping me sane throughout the rehearsal process.”

For senior Maryhelen Bucklin who has been and active member for many years and is currently the vice president for stage, this is her first year with a leading role for UIL.

“Winning honorable mention all star cats made me feel like all my hard work has been cemented,” Bucklin said. ” I’ve been lucky enough to be apart of UIL the past three years and I can honestly say the relationships and teamwork are just on another level this year.”

While many of these students are actors which play a huge part in the success of UIL, senior and head stage manger Ella Caouette has been nothing less then a hardworking and dedicated Technicon. Her role has been a important piece of the puzzle that is UIL.

“Winning best Technician was really rewarding because it was the moment that really solidified this show that we’ve been working on,” Caouette said. Even backstage where its harder to hear the laughs, gasps, and applause, it made me realize just how well everything had come together and how much the audience

resonated with our show.”