Opinion: College prices are too high

Opinion: College prices are too high

Education isn’t priceless at all which only adds on another unnecessary stress to teens: will I be able to afford college? If the answer is no, it seems like you’re condemned to McDonald’s for the rest of your life. With a dead-end job, there’s no motivation or possibility to grow in the company.

Of the 20 million college students in America, 60 percent take out some kind of loan to help pay for college fees according to Chronicle of Higher Education. 37 million people have outstanding loans and of those 37 million, 14 percent have at least one past due student loan account. The number of people who aren’t able to pay back these loans is only growing.

Dreams of being artists, lawyers and so on are getting farther and farther from sight. Prices increase for the basic degrees for these jobs. Those students will spend many years of their lives (if not all) paying off the student loans they’ve taken out to get there.

Colleges need to listen to the student’s cries about the rising prices of higher education. Colleges need to start handing out more scholarships instead of the ones who are only available to a small population of the attendees. There’s many ways colleges can cut spending on things that aren’t necessarily needed so that people can afford the future they need.