Letters to the Editors

Scooters in hallways big inconvenience

Dear Editor,
Since the first few weeks of school have passed, I have seen people riding scooters in the hallways. Three times I have been hit by these death machines. Sooner or later, someone is going to get seriously hurt. I propose that we put tunnels under the school so that the scooter people can not hurt the student body. If we don’t get enough tunnels, speed bumps might work. I believe that if this plan is put into effect, other schools will follow and the National Scooter Fatality Rate will decrease.
Sincerely,
Will Collins, 12
Dear Will,

I apologize on behalf of the school for the inconvenience that these scooters have caused you. However, I think we both know that even though tunnels and speed bumps are both great ideas, the school board will most likely shut down that idea and crush our dreams. I’m pretty sure tunnels and speed bumps are both costly projects and we would much rather spend that money on more important things such as laptops or prom. As for the ‘scooter people’, be careful in the hallways! This is the most convenient way to lower the NSFR (National Scooter Fatality Rate).

Sincerely,
Kathy Bui, Co-editor-in-chief

Newspaper’s stories too long and boring

Dear Editor,I think that the paper is too boring. I can’t really read it for long amounts of time without going to sleep. I believe that you should put more interesting stories in it so I don’t fall asleep.
Sincerely,
Emma Calhoun, 11
Dear Emma,
First of all, on behalf of the entire Cougar Claw staff, I apologize that our stories are too long for your attention span. We have tried our hardest this year to write quality stories that the student body will actually read. In past years, we’d spend so much time and effort putting together a paper for the school, and no one bothered to read what we had made for them. This year we wanted that to change. The problem is that for the most part, kids don’t read. And to be honest, it sounds like you aren’t really a fan of it either. How would you know if our stories are good if you don’t even finish them? It is definitely a tough issue to overcome. But we will continue to work on it. I wish you the best of luck getting through our stories this issue! And I sincerely hope you can finish reading this letter without falling asleep.

Sincerely,
Melanie Madden, Co-editor-in-chief

Band needs more recognition

Dear Editor,
The bands works for hours and hours after school, long after tennis, charms and football have gone home for the day. We’re still outside on the visitor’s parking lot, marching in the heat.
And on Friday after school, we’re in the stadium, running through our show one last time before the game. Then back inside we go, to scarf down food, try on our uniforms together, and shine our instruments before lining up on the track in the stadium for the game.

We march at halftime, for the crowd’s amusement, then back into the stands to play some more.

But we aren’t done after that. After the game, we clean the band hall until its spotless, and then are finally released to go home.

And in the morning, when the rest of the student population is sleeping off the football game, band kids are back at school, getting our uniforms back again for a contest across town. Another late night, then we get Sunday off before we wake up, go to school, and do it all over again.

Your halftime entertainment is not easy work. Band is horribly under-appreciated. Sports get recognition, but people fail to realize how hard band works, how much of out free time we give up. I just thought you should know.

Sincerely,
Amanda Garcia, 9

Dear Amanda,

If it makes you feel better, everyone I know loves the Cougar Pride band! The great thing about our school is that it offers so many extracurricular activities that all shine in their own way. The downside to having so many activities though, is that they all don’t get recognized. For two consecutive years I was a Charm and whenever we did well at contest, we would get a ‘Congratulations Cougar Charms!’ on the announcements and that was it. Please keep in mind all of the other activities in this school. I can say this for both newspaper and yearbook, student publications covers and is present at every single event, and little is said about us.

Sincerely,
Kathy Bui, Co-editor-in-chief

School now popularity contest

Dear Editor,
Why oh why? I hate coming to school some days because school has become more like a popularity contest. There are too many clicks and it makes making more friends difficult. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard “Oh I don’t hang out with people like that.” Why does everyone have to belong to a specific group? Classifying people is wrong. The quiet and shy people sit and look trying to make friends but they feel like they are excluded from the chances of being their friends. Nothing’s worse than walking the halls and hearing “I won’t be caught dead with so-and-so”. Why can’t people just be open to making friends?
Sincerely,
Kayla Horn, 12

Dear Kayla,
Just so you know, high school is not the most important part of life. Right now it may seem like its your entire world. But before you know it, the whole thing will be over and you will be moving on into the real world. All the people that consume themselves with their image and their popularity will soon learn that in life outside of high school, people don’t care about those things. No one cares if they were voted best dressed their senior year. No one cares if they were the Homecoming Queen. No one cares if they dated the hottest guy in school. So, I understand that it’s really difficult to go to school side-by-side with superficial people and all of their clicks, but don’t dwell on it. The things they obviously care about won’t get them far in life. People that are able to get along with everyone (“popular” or not) will go much further.
Sincerely,
Melanie Madden, Co-editor -in-chief