To bag or to buy?

Most students, when asked, will say that lunch is their most favorite part of the day. Why not? In the seven-hour school day, the thirty minute lunch break can be our only oasis.

It’s the perfect time to catch up with friends, do last night’s unfinished homework, and eat since you were rushed and couldn’t eat breakfast. Who wants to spend a majority of that time in line to get food your stomach’s been growling for since third period?

“I normally bring my lunch to school because I get to pick out my own food and I don’t have to wait in the long lines. The lines stink,” junior MacKenzie Vereide said.

The average student who buys lunch spends three dollars a day/ five days a week, which adds up to fifteen dollars a week and about forty-five to sixty dollars per month. This money could be put to better use filling up your car or taking your boyfriend/ girlfriend out on a date rather than on a plate of mystery meat.

“It depends on my mood, but usually I buy food unless my mom makes me fajitas to bring to school,” senior Tyler Goodman said. “I spend roughly six dollars each day on lunch and I would much rather spend that money on gas.”

All the food at home in the pantry can be saving you tons of money and probably even tastes better. What better menu is there than the one right in your kitchen?

Any kind of sandwich meat, chips, soups … the list goes on. Wouldn’t it be much better to personalize your lunch the way you want rather than spending your lunch break in line to get food that’s just given to you?

“I buy lunch because it’s easier. Buying school lunch isn’t that pricey in my opinion, but it would be a lot cheaper if I brought my own lunch and I could probably find a better way to spend that money,” sophomore Hannah Hinklin said.

When it comes to convenience, buying lunch is definitely a win. The worries of packing it or even forgetting your lunch at home simply disappear, but how much of a hassle is it to spend the entire lunch standing in line?

Spending money on food you don’t prefer, standing in a line for the majority of your lunch, or taking a simple five minutes in the morning fixing a sandwich.

Which would you rather do?