Cougar Block schedule starts Wednesday

A KTHS Production

Sabrina Ulloa, Editor-in-Chief

A new cougar block schedule, which is expected to improve the environment around school and the students life, will be implemented into all grades starting Wednesday.

“The reason we’re doing this is to take advantage of your time here at school so you’re not spending as much of your own personal time outside of school on school related items. We can take care of it right here at THS,” school principal Chris Scott said.

This cougar block or advisory time will be different depending on what grade level each student is in. All students will have access to the Master Schedule which will display where teachers are and when they’re available.

“If you’re a freshman you’re going to have advisory of 27 minutes attached to your 5th period class. This advisory time is going to be utilized primarily for study hall,” Scott said.

However, on Wednesdays during the advisory period, as part of the freshmen experience, they’ll be instructed in a Character Strong curriculum, which the school put in place last year.

“This character strong curriculum helps you develop the kinds of qualities and characteristics that we want to see in all of our cougars.” Scott said.

The character strong curriculum will also be available to students 10th through 12th during their cougar block and will be offering a character cord for graduation to those who choose to attend. Seniors who want to attain the character cord will have to sign up and attend 25 sessions which is the same as once a week for 25 minutes.

“I know this is going to be a great thing for our school and I know this is going to be a game changer for many of you. It’s going to really help you achieve what you want at THS,” Scott said.

All 10th to 12th graders will have a cougar block, which basically combines both B and C lunch giving all students a chance to see every teacher at least three times a week for tutoring.

“If you need support so if you need tutoring help, you need to make up a test, you need to get a little extra bump to go from a B to an A or to get that last minute test prep your teachers are going to be available to you three times a week for you to be able to visit them during that lunch block,” Scott said.

Besides students being able to get extra help from their teacher, they’ll be able to attend certain services that will be provided by the school, such as, preparation for the SAT, ACT, or PSAT. Students will have to sign up and will be slotted where test prep will be provided up to six weeks at a time.

“I would say this is a great opportunity for students who are in AP classes and other classes that are really pushing that envelope for college readiness which we know you’re involved in… to help you prepare for those exams, to give you a chance to work with does teachers on a regular basis,” Scott said.

Not only is the cougar block focused on the students academics but will also be able to offer counseling groups to those who have been having some challenges. Students will be able to visit with their counselor and it won’t require them to be out of class during that time.

“I’m super excited for the cougar block thats coming up because it gives me time to finish up applying for colleges and it gives me time to start applying for scholarships,” senior cheer co-captain Presley Babb said.

With the cougar block, students will no longer have to catch up on homework if they have extracurriculars after school and if they’re behind on high school credits a grad lab will be provided in order to catch up.

“I’m a charm so this block schedule is exciting because I get to have a chance to do my homework and have practice after school and not worry about it after,” charm major Audrey Wedemeyer said.

This schedule will run for a few weeks in order to decide whether it is efficient and if students are taking advantage of this opportunity. If the cougar block creates some kind of distraction or there isn’t enough student participation then the school will go back to the original schedule.

“It’s going to be up to you on whether [the cougar block] succeeds or not,” Scott said.

Be sure to comment below how the cougar block can help you as a high school student or any request on how to improve it and you will be entered to win two Ed Sheeran concert tickets.

About the Writer
Sabrina Ulloa, Editor-in-Chief

Hi Coogs! I'm Sabrina Ulloa and your Editor-in-Chief for the year. I’m a senior this year and so excited to be working along the newspaper staff to create...

70 Comments

70 Responses to “Cougar Block schedule starts Wednesday”

1. Lorena adamaris on September 6th, 2018 2:08 pm

I think this will be a great opportunity for the school ! And to help me graduate especially because I work and sometimes I’m to exhausted to do homework thank you so much !

2. Ana Moreno on September 6th, 2018 8:14 pm

I feel that the cougar block schedule will help me out this year because being in after school activities (sports) will make my school year run a lot smoother, and also allow me to go to my teacher without having to wait a whole period because of my early realse due to off campus P.E. Another way that cougar block will help me out this year is by participating in the SAT prep.I think we can better the new change by all the students taking advantage of cougar block so not only does this give the school an opportunity to raise their academic standards but also gives the students a chance to better their grades therefore improving their gpa which.

3. Emiliana Márquez on September 6th, 2018 8:15 pm

Cougar Block is a good addition to the school program because it will allow students to catch up on their homework, reading, and other school assignments they were not able to complete in class, while under the supervision of the teachers. Additionally, in case of doubts, students will be able to seek the advice of their teachers. In my case, since I participate in Off-Campus P.E, it will allow me to focus on my training without having to worry about completing school assingments when arriving home late from practice.

4. Austin green on September 6th, 2018 10:02 pm

I’m so excited for the extra time!

5. Laysha Cariaga on September 6th, 2018 10:23 pm

I think cougar block is going to be great for students,teachers, and parents. It’s is good for students because we will get a chance to get homework done, missing assignments,etc and it will help our grades be better. It will be good to teachers and parents because teachers won’t have to worry about calling anyone’s parents that they have missing work or that they are failing their class, instead it will give us (students) a good grade because we have time to do homework or missing/late assignments in school instead of doing it when we get home all tired, sleepy, and exhausted from school. I am a thousand percent sure I will love cougar block.

6. timmy smith on September 7th, 2018 2:23 pm

the cougar claw will be an excellent time for me to get some of the credits i lost during grad lab and i will be having a blast hanging and seeing old friends

7. Angela Martinez on September 7th, 2018 2:26 pm

I think this is a great addition to our schedule. By having more time during school to finish assignments i believe that our grades would improve. I suggest that there be some fun activities that we can take part of, if you don’t really need tutoring or as a way to relax from a stressful day.

8. Ava Ahmadi on September 8th, 2018 12:05 pm

I think the cougar block is going to be very beneficial to all students, helping them get work done, and gst tutoring if they don’t have time before or after school.

9. Madeleine Ahmadi on September 8th, 2018 12:08 pm

I think cougar block would be very good if students had an option to go to a club where they learn about current events that are happening in the world now most kids don’t watch the news so they aren’t aware of things that are happening around them

10. Jazlynn Esquivel on September 9th, 2018 12:58 am

Honestly, it’s a very good idea and helpful for someone like me, especially since I’m involved in multiple clubs and band which consumes majority of my time. I think rather than just letting everybody “choose” their cougar block period, you guys should designate it so students are able to take more advantage to this opportunity rather than taking it away from others that really need this extra time. This would also in my opinion, make this idea more cohesive and less chaotic for both students and teachers 🙂

11. Gabriella Wiechman on September 10th, 2018 8:23 am

Cougar block will help me to finish proving my homeschool credits and help me have time to start my bible study, so I’m really excited to start it!

12. Ryan Hightower on September 10th, 2018 11:49 pm

I think cougar block will be an amazing, unique benefit to my highschool experience as I will now be able to better handle the stresses of my AP courses by having time throughout my school day to complete my homework, projects, and tutor sessions so that when I’m home it gives me leisure time for work and a good sleep schedule. 🙂

13. Sitaara Naquin on September 12th, 2018 4:18 pm

I think that the Cougar Block could be improved by allowing students to switch between classes partway through a block. That way, if they need to visit a teacher, but only for a short time, then they can go to something else afterwards and get even more out of the study time. It would be really helpful!!

14. Jasmin Cruz on September 17th, 2018 9:15 pm

We should have a photography club!

15. Maurizio Garcia on September 18th, 2018 9:28 am

I love the new cougar block! I can finally do homework and not go to bed at midnight!

16. Britney Contreras on September 18th, 2018 9:05 pm

I think that Cougar Block has been very helpful because it has allowed me to work on other things, such as homework, studying and reviewing, going to character strong, and going to choir to work on contest music. Cougar Block also allows me to have more time to go to tutoring for help, or work on assignments.

17. Jack Gross on September 19th, 2018 11:46 am

I love it. It is cool.

18. Trey Gamble on September 19th, 2018 11:47 am

I like cougar block, i can eat and do homework.

19. Irene wenzel on September 19th, 2018 6:23 pm

Cougar block has really helped me get extra time to study and to go to my classes I haven’t been able to before to get some extra tutoring.

20. Brooke McGarrah on September 24th, 2018 10:48 am

Very interested in how long this will be available to us. Love the extra time and hope it continues to be an effective practice.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Cougar Block schedule starts Wednesday

News

Van Putten wins Golden Torch

News

How old is too old to trick-or-treat?

News

School braces for another rough flu season

News

Theater ready to take on Annie

• News

Students can cast key vote

News

Bus riders stuck with long waits

• News

Red Ribbon Week dress up days get competitive

News

Tomball High School is visited by a German scholar

News

Character Strong starts up for the year

• News

Change your Google password

Cougar Block schedule starts Wednesday