Belting out the next act

Velazquez uses stage to showcase talent
Gaby+preforming+as+Morticia+in+Addams+Family+
Ava Bert
Gaby preforming as Morticia in Addams Family

Many high school students aspire to perform well in every club they belong to; however, it is much easier said than done. Growing up,  senior Gaby Velazquez knew her ultimate dream was to become a professional artist, in whichever form would suit her best.

One of the most important roles, she claims, in her artistry was her parents as they consistently encouraged her to continue following her dreams. 

“They never fail to cheer me on, challenge me to be better, and love me through every phase of this journey,” Gaby said. 

She ran into a few snags in her journey as she expressed her aspirations to other family members and faced criticism. While it is a valid fear of many that the artistic world can lead to uncertainty, Gaby accepted the challenge and since then has continued to face it head-on. 

“One of my biggest fears in life…has always been being miserable in the future just to make money. I don’t know exactly what the future holds…but I do know that I would rather pursue what I love and what makes me happy rather than what will make me the most money,” Gaby said. 

The correct mindset has led her to the many achievements she proudly holds now. Balancing theater and choir is not a feat for the weak, however, she continues to prevail. 

Especially in the choir, Gaby pushed herself to her limits to gain success and through doing that, she has gained many accomplishments. 

“In my junior year, I was lucky enough to succeed in becoming an All-State musician and perform in the TMEA Treble Choir. Going into my senior year, I made it my mission to go even further, and I became a two-year All-State musician and performed in the TMEA Mixed Choir, the best high school choir in Texas,” Gaby said. 

Not only that, but as she advanced through theater she also gained several titles. As of her senior year, she has claimed the roles of Morticia in the performance of the Addams Family and Penelope Sycomore in You Can’t Take It with You. Continuing in her successes, she has also gained the important role of Jo in the THS theaters UIL performance of Lend Me a Soprano.  

Gaby’s high school career has been an all-around success and her doings will lead her far in her future careers and lifestyle.

“Being able to achieve those things in just three years is something I will forever be proud of. Without my family, friends, teachers, and peers I would never be able to be where I am today, and I am so grateful to them all for supporting and pushing me to work hard,” Gaby said.