Always on pointe

A sneak peak into the dance life of Senior Sophia Elliot
Caption+headshots+
Courtesy of Sophia Elliot
Caption headshots

Sophia Elliot has been dancing for almost 16 years and began dancing competitively when she was eight with her favorite being contemporary. She danced with various studios up until she became apart of the Charms Dance team ever since 2020, her freshman year.

She began at 2-years old at the Cypress Elite Dance Studio with her older sister. Despite her age she had fell in love with the sport, knowing. dance would be a part of her life forever from that point. At her first ever dance competition that feeling after she had steeped off the stage and being proud of what she had done was the kick starter for the dance life.

“The feeling of performing all the hard work from practice is such a rewarding feeling,”  Sophia said. “I realized I loved the competitive nature of dance and it was something that I wanted to keep pursuing. ”

Sophomore year she became a lieutenant, winning multiple awards starting with her and her officer team winning overall grand champion officers at the trendsetter dance competition as well as placing first in the 9th/10th grade solos. She was also recruited as a Bluebonnet at the  Dancin’ Bluebonnets Dance Studio.

She went through a traumatic avulsion fracture in her hip this year. This was challenging throughout her entire competition season because out for that whole season. She did not let her injury halt her life, still showing up every morning to practice, ready to encourage her teammates to improve on their craft. She was able to grow as a leader and a person since she was able to be on the other side of dance, watching rather than being the one dancing.

“My whole life has been dance,”  Sophia said, “so when that was taken away in a split second by an intense injury, my life had changed forever.”

After the hardship that was sophomore year, Sophia became Major for her Junior year. She represented Tomball high school as an All-State Dancer at Texas Dance Educators Association Convention in January. Winning first place at the dress rehearsals for the season in the 11th/12th grade solos.

Starting her junior year competition season she won third place in the ages 15-16 solo category at Klein Oak. In their next contest at Klein Cain, Sophia was the winner in the 11th Grade solo category. At MA nationals the team won overall second place with Sophia winning fifth in the 15-16 age solo category. She also won for her solo at their state competition. This year they also had the opportunity to take a class from the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders.

Throughout her journey she has had the privilege of attending multiple intensive classes with dancers all around the US in order to better her dance. Sophia is also got the opportunity to become an Assistant at Power Intensive. She has also travelled universities and dance combines throughout the country with her mom in order to discover where she wanted to go to school.

As her senior year season approached she became Major. This year the Charms Elite Team won an at large-bid to the USASF Dance Worlds with the seniors placing first in small jazz, small contemporary, and large contemporary as well as caption awards for best technique and execution. Sophia represented Tomball again at the Texas Dance Educators Association Convention as an All-State Dancer.

Sophia’s biggest inspiration has been her family through the way they inspire and motivate her through all of her experiences. No matter where she is her parents have been sitting in the audience supporting her in doing what she loves.

“They are my biggest role models,”  Sophia said,” and have shaped me to be the hardworking and disciplined person I am today.”

In order to manage the tasks of dance life, school life, and her social life Sophia spends her times being in the moment of each day by taking things one task at a time. Prioritizing making time for her family and friends while continuing to grow her studies and dance, which helps her control the stress levels while maintaining the busy lifestyle.

Sophia has committed to the University of Colorado and will continue her dance journey as part of the CUBuffs dance team. Majoring in business accounting and accepted into Leeds Business school at Colorado Boulder. The deciding factor for CU was her first attendance at their dance clinic and how she fell in love with the atmosphere. She currently does not have a plan in pursuing dance as a career unless it is to start her own business running a dance studio. 

“My passion for performing and dancing was evident at an extremely young age which I have kept up until this point in life,”  said Sophia. “I do want dance to always be apart of my life while continuing to take classes when I’m older.”