Surviving high school

Senior William Klein balances the trials of being in band while maintaining a high GPA and being a friendly face
Ava Bert
After receiving his crown William headed over to the student section to play along with his section.

Some people can fold under the pressure of being in an extracurricular or being a part of the top ten students, senior William Klein has proven that you can do both. 

Throughout high school William has been involved in the Tomball Cougar Pride Marching Band and has definitely made his mark. 

His sophomore year he was the youngest section leader in the band along with the percussion program welcoming a new director, leading to having him not only lead around 20 students but also help the director keep Tomball Traditions. 

“Will really pulled through and rose to the occasion that year,” junior and fellow percussion member Braden Soetart said. “Being the only section leader seemed like a scary time but with the help of the other sophomores that year it ended up creating a better bond within the section.”

Not only that but he became the center snare of the drumline, meaning that the entire band would rely on him to keep the time throughout any of the musical pieces they performed. 

Ever since that year he has been promoted to being the Percussion Captain and has stayed as the Battery Section Leader and Center Snare for the remainder of the years. 

He was Co-Vice President of the Band his junior year, later moving up to Band President for this year. He worked together all summer with the leadership team to create a fun and exciting environment for all the band students as well as teaching many incoming freshmen the fundamentals to marching. 

Still, he has managed to consistently be an exemplary student both in the classroom and outside. William is a member of the National Honor Society, a national merit semi-finalist, and a Tomball Rotary Student of the Month. He could end up as valedictorian. 

Not only can he balance the life of a band kid and an honors student but he is a people person. Many of his friends will say that he is always ready to help out in any way, and he has an ability to connect with the community. 

William’s siblings graduated from Tomball as part of the Class of 2021. His brother, James, was the valedictorian for the class while his sister, Caroline, was apart of the top ten students. Yet his siblings legacies aren’t one of main pressures that are in his daily life.

“I’ve always said that focusing on the end result is never the way to go,” William said. “If you focus on what you need to do each day then you’ll achieve the end result that you want.”