FFA more than raising animals

Those in program have plenty of chances to get involved
Rane Paulson
Lamb that was showed at the 2022 Project show

Some may not be well versed in what goes on in the agricultural and FFA side of the school.

“FFA is not just about raising animals; it’s about nurturing leaders and fostering responsibility,” said Emily Van Handel, a first-year student in FFA raising an animal. “The organization emphasizes personal growth, leadership development, and an appreciation for agriculture, all while instilling a strong sense of responsibility among its members.” 

Contrary to popular belief, joining FFA doesn’t require any prior experience with farm animals. 

“I have no prior experience with farm animals, and I’m receiving my goat this Saturday,” said Van Handel. “If you want to learn more about Agriculture but don’t want to participate in FFA there are different agricultural classes. Furthermore, if you want to be involved in FFA but not raise an animal there are other things such as their academic teams. However, a requirement to be in FFA is to be currently enrolled in an agriculture class.”  

In FFA, students have started paying and getting their animals for this year. Steers arrived in May, and other animals will be arriving soon. Students will be taking care of and preparing them for their first progress show in December, and various competitions and shows throughout the year. In Agriculture classes, students have completed the safety tests to start going to the floral lab and doing various activities. 

Unfortunately, you can no longer join FFA but there is always next year.