Buzzer beater takes the win

Kylee Symons clinches the win for the Lady Coogs
Meghan Schilder

On Tuesday night, the Lady Cougar Basketball team played against Klein Forest, who they beat by 50 points last season. This year, the Cougars intended to keep that high streak that night, but had to put up more of a fight.

They played hard but it all came down to the final seconds. With less then 30 seconds in the game, the Lady Coogs were up by two points, with win in arms reach. But Klein Forest, which had missed three previous 3-point shots in the game, made the shot to take a 1-point lead in the final seconds.

With seven and a half seconds left, the Lady Cougars called a time out. All huddled around, the original plan was to pass the ball to junior Mallory Lehmann who would drive up to make a layup. While trying to execute this plan, she got surrounded by three Klein Forest players, meaning her only option was to pass the ball to someone who was open. This player was junior Kylee Symons.

Kylee drilled a 2-point shot in the last couple of seconds of the game, coming away with a 48-47 win. This shot up caused an uproar in the crowd and a proud team moment.

“When I made the shot I wasn’t really thinking about anything, it just kind of happened,” junior Kylee Symons said. “I thought something was going to happen to make us win, but I didn’t think I was gonna make the shot.”

If you want to see this shot in action, visit the Lady Coogs Basketball team’s Instagram @tomballgbasketball.