Coogs ready to take on Oak Ridge in area round

Nevaeh Jones
Coogs running into a win

After a big win last week in the bi-district round, the Cougars are gearing up to face Oak Ridge High School in the area round.

The showdown is Saturday at Randall Stadium at 4 p.m. It’s a bit of a drive but the team is hoping for plenty of support to cheer them to the win.

“I feel more confident for this week’s game rather than last week’s game,” senior outside linebacker Amare Gibbs said. “They don’t seem that good and our defense is crazy. They’ve been getting better by the week. Pretty confident in this win.”

Their biggest supporters, the cheer team, are anxious for this weekend especially the seniors since they don’t know which game is going to be their last.

It’s more fun during playoffs,” Varsity Cheer Co-captain Abbie Burton said. “There’s better energy because we never know when it’s the last time we get to cheer together.”

The extended season also means an extra performance for band, which the band members don’t mind at all.

“Personally, I’m really excited to be there and support the football team, and have a fun time,” said trumpet player Marah Bray.

The team has been practicing relentlessly trying to come up with new plays to pull out on top for this weekend’s game.

“We’re feeling good, they have a pretty good team,” senior quarterback Carter Noyes said. “But there are definitely things we can do to beat them. We’re just trying to plan ahead, use different plays, add a couple of techniques to what we already have, and just stick to what we’re doing.”