Boys Soccer advances to Round Two of playoffs

Lauryn Olivarez

Reid Bohnert and Ismael Betancourt

Ashton Lux, Sports Editor

Boys Soccer team defeated Cy Lakes 3-0 in Round One of bi-district playoffs last Friday, advancing to Area. 

The Cougars struck first in under two minutes as senior Ashton Contreras scored the first goal of the half. The Cougars remained in control the rest of the first half keeping Cy Lakes scoreless.

Not long after halftime, to open up the second half sophomore Jorge Torres scored by beating two defenders leaving him one on one with the goalie. The Cougars now led the Spartans 2-0 with 21:00 left in the game.

Cy Lakes had multiple chances to get on the score board but thanks to goalie Patrick Gallagher for blocking multiple attempts at the goal.

To close off the game, senior Jayden Goytia beat two defenders and scored the second goal of the half putting the Cougars up 3-0.

Goytia reflected on how this win marks a change in a positive direction for the soccer program as they have been knocked out in the first round in years past.

“Winning round one was huge for us because it is something that we as a team have been working towards for two years,” Goytia said. “We feel that we deserve it but we are yet to be satisfied with only winning one playoff game, we know we can go further and have the skill to make a deep run this year.”

The Cougars have the opportunity to continue their playoff run in Aldine at Thorne Stadium as they take on MacArthur in round two, with kickoff at 7 tonight.