Coogs look to topple Tigers for Bi-District Title

Pryce Burns takes power dribble before attempting layup. Stock Photo

Bishop Van Buren, Sports Editor

The THS Cougars will travel to Montgomery High School on Tuesday, February 25th, to take on the A&M Consolidated Tigers in the first round of the 2020 5A Region 3 Playoffs. The Tigers only lost one game to a district opponent this season, giving them a good enough record to tie Katy Paetow for the top spot in District 19, while the Cougars went earned 3rd place in District 20 behind only the Lake Creek Lions and the Huntsville Hornets. The Tigers are a much different type of challenge than most of the teams Tomball has faced so far, with talent all over their roster combining with experienced Head Coach John Daily’s creativity. 

“I know they’re going to trap us a lot, so we’ve got to move the ball well,” said Senior Guard Sawyer Link. “We’ve installed a new defense to make them shoot too, because they’re not the best shooters but they’re successful in the paint.”

One player to watch on the A&M Consolidated Tigers is Jalen Harrison, who scored 20 points against Magnolia this past Tuesday to secure the Tigers share of the District Title. He’s the Tigers most prolific scorer, with this season high being 47 against the Magnolia West Mustangs earlier this season.

“I’m hoping our Defense will be able to contain him,” said Senior Guard Tyler Frey. “But we have a good offense that should help keep up. If they play man against us I’m confident in me and Briggs’ ball handling to help us through their traps.”

Make sure to make the trip out to Montgomery and support your Cougars on Tuesday in the first round of playoffs.