Cougars fall in wild fashion

UPDATE: Tomball fell to Angleton over the long Thanksgiving weekend, losing Friday night in a wild 73-35 shootout at Turner Stadium in Humble.

The loss ends the Cougars’ playoff run and caps a season that saw them rebound from an 0-4 start to advance to the second round of the playoffs.

***

Mission Accomplished.

The Tomball Cougar football team reached their goal of beating Reagan High School in the 4A bi-district game last night.  The score was 47-14, with senior quarterback Drew Reynolds’ four total touchdowns.  He led the team to half-time, earning 24 points while Reagan still had none.

Now the Cougars must focus on the second round of the Division I Region III-4A playoffs.  Their dedication is shown in practice.  And while you’re at home enjoying a Thanksgiving feast, the Tomball football team will be out on the field.

Friendswood and Angleton play tonight, which will determine who the Cougars play Thanksgiving weekend.

Before each game, the Cougars get focused by practicing their pre-game routines to get in the zone.  “I listen to music in the locker room,” said senior outside linebacker Kendall Browning.  While he’s getting pumped, you can find senior corner Joseph Childers doing yoga to calm his nerves before the game.  Reynolds has music playing while he “visualizes the game.”  And junior middle linebacker Tristan Borne listens to chill music and reads his Bible.  Not to mention the team trip to Luby’s before the game.

But there is one pre-game ritual that each player has in common.  “The Nebraska Speech,” they all say in unison.  It’s the mental routine they do that really provides motivation and perseverance.

Without these things, and of course the coaching and their hundreds of fans, the team would not have made it this far, they all agree.

The key is believing.