Tomball baseball makes history

Tomball baseball makes history

Tomball defeated Klein in the regional quarterfinals, advancing deeper into the playoffs than any Cougar baseball team had before.

The Cougars next play A&M Consolidated in a best-of-three series beginning Thursday night at 7 atTomballHigh School. Game 2 will be Friday at 7pm at A&M Consolidated and Game 3, if needed, will be at 1pm Saturday at Fireman’s Park in Brenham.

“It’s good to know that we are one of the best teams that’s gone through Tomball,” junior Nick Banks said.

The Cougars advanced after breaking through against district rival Klein to win their best-of-three series, with both of their wins coming in one-run games.

Last Thursday, the Cougars met the Bearkats at Klein Oak High School and took home the victory 7-6.  The next day, the two teams met back at the same location.  Although Banks hit a two-run home run, the Cougars fell 7-2.  This meant they had to play a third, deciding game.

Saturday afternoon in The Woodlands,  the Cougars defeated the Bearkats 11-10 in one for the history books.  Banks, Spence Rahm and Matt Mundkowsky all had three home runs, while David Gonzalez had a solo home run.  In all, the Cougars had ten hits.  Braeden Holub and Michael Herrera both pitched in the last four innings, giving up only two runs altogether.  Holub picked up the win on the mound and Herrera got the save. 

In district, Klein had defeated Tomball twice, and the Bearkats were ranked 5th in the state.  But Tomball is the team that will advance to Regional SemiFinals this week against a team they’ve already faced once this year. 

“It will be a really tough series,” Holub said. “But we beat them earlier this season.”