Commentary: Politics should be violence-free zone

Back to Article
Back to Article

Alyssa Aceves and Samantha Abrahams

One of the biggest events of the year, the presidential election between candidates Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, recently came to an end. The result was shocking to many, but more important, it spurred mass violent and hate. 

Violence, as some may recall, was seen when our current president, Barack Obama, won the election eight years ago. There were many that did not favor the idea of Obama as president, and fighting ensued on campus and across the nation.

These past few days, a similar reaction has been seen in reaction to Trump’s victory. Mass protests have taken place across the nation, an many have openly stated on various social media platforms that they reject Trump as the next president.

However, this is the United States, and in the United States we have a democracy. Democracy allows citizens to vote for their next president and exercise their voice, a privilege many nations do not have.

Following the results of this divisive election, many have complained the Electoral College is obsolete, and we should elect a new leader based solely on the popular vote (which Hilary Clinton won in this election). However, the Electoral College protects the voices of those in smaller towns and rural areas. If the United States based the election solely on popular vote, major metropolitan cities with large populations would essentially elect our President. 

Through this time following the election, it is important to remember to respect the viewpoints of others, and to promote unity rather than decision. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and has the freedom to say what they feel. That being said, it is imperative that we unite as a nation, regardless of recent issues.

Though we are an amazingly diverse country, we are all people, and most important we are all Americans. We need to come together, and hope that these next four years bring the positive change we’ve hoped for for so long.

About the Writer
Alyssa Aceves, Staff Writer

My name is Alyssa Aceves. I'm a freshman at Tomball High School. This is my first year in journalism and I hope I can learn a lot of great things and write...