NJROTC competition season starts

ROTC practicing before competition

NJROTC competed at a drill meet this weekend at Spring High School. Among Tomball there was 16 other local schools competing. Tomball competed in unarmed regulation and exhibition, armed regulation and exhibition, unit inspection, color guard, PT and academics.

The unit inspection is how well cadets can hold a military bearing, know general military knowledge, and how sharp their uniform looks. Armed, Unarmed and Color Guard regulation is memorizing a card with 50+ commands, which is graded by how the team executes the card. Armed and Unarmed exhibition is a creative display of technical tricks and maneuvers combined with both military drill, some cheer and dance elements and rifle spinning. PT is push-ups and sit-ups to a cadence/time limit and an 8×100 or 16×100 passing a baton back and forth around a track. Academics consist of SAT style questions along with military general knowledge.

We did good, they did good at practices and have been putting in a lot of effort,” Unarmed Drill Commander Nizet Villanueva said.

Their hard work did not go unnoticed by their instructors.

“I am confident they outperformed last year and were highly successful,” Master Chief Corey Seymour said.

At this time the results are not known yet.