FFA project show kicks off Jan. 25

Rane Paulson

Lamb that was showed at the 2022 Project show

Natalia Martinez, News Editor

TISD is holding its 47th annual FFA project show the week of Jan. 25 through 28 at the Tomball High School Show Barn.

The Tomball and Tomball Memorial FFA Chapters each has students raise and train different livestock animals to be auctioned off at this show.

“Raising chickens is the best experience I’ve had, getting to work with them is so much fun,” junior Emma Cline said. “I love these animals. They have taught me patience and helped with my time management skills.”

In total 97 animals are up for auction.

• Steers – 12
  • Swine – 25
  • Lambs – 11
  • Goats – 23
  • Turkeys – 5
  • Rabbits – 10
  • Broilers – 11

Some students have been feeding and arising their animal for months. Pigs, lambs, goats, and turkey projects started mid to late Sept. while steers are from last May. Small livestock like chickens and rabbits were received before Christmas break.

These student spend time, dedication, and money to ensure that their livestock is in prime condition to raise them a lot of money.

Each day has a specific schedule to show off the animals, the last day is the actual auction.

“These projects are very intense and time consuming for this short time period.” said FFA Teacher Sommer Thomas, “We look forward to having another successful show with about 180 THS students participating this year.”

The Barn is open at 8 a.m. for people to come in and get ahead in looking at the animals for the later showings.

Wednesday: Jan. 25

• Special Rodeo – 8 a.m. to Noon
  • Rabbit Show – 1:30 p.m.
  • Broiler Show – 2:30 p.m. or immediately following the rabbit show (whichever is later)
  • Turkey Show – immediately following Broiler Show

Thursday: Jan. 26

• Lamb Show – Noon
  • Goat Show – 2 p.m.

Friday: Jan. 27

• Steer Show – Noon
  • Swine Show – 2 p.m.

Saturday: Jan. 28

• Barn Opens – 9 a.m.
  • Sale Order Meeting – 9:30 a.m.
  • Buckle & Trophy Presentation – 11 a.m.
  • Buyers Lunch – 11:30 AM – 1:30 p.m.
  • Live Auction – 2 p.m.
  • Livestock Area of the Barn Closes to ALL people other than TISD FFA Load Out Committee – 30 minutes after the conclusion of the live auction

“Tomball HS has strong traditions of winning several of the grand and reserve champions while competing with Tomball Memorial,” Thomas said, “and have faith the traditions will continue this year as well.”