All school employees now eligible for COVID-19 vaccine

Handout photo

All teachers in Harris County can sign up at multiple locations to get their Covid-19 vaccine shot.

Elise Guerra, Web Editor

All Texas teachers, child care workers, and school employees are now allowed to get the COVID-19 vaccine, being added to federal priority. With the recent announcement of Gov.  Greg Abbott that he was reopening the state 100 percent, President Joe Biden pushed more for teachers to be added to the priority list when it comes to receiving the vaccine.

As Biden pushes to reopen schools fully within his first 100 days announcement, it was of utmost importance to him that all educational workers be provided with the vaccine in order to ensure higher levels of safety for students.

“My challenge is this: We want every educator, school staff member, child care worker to receive at least one shot by the end of the month of March,” Biden said.

With this in mind, teachers are eager to receive vaccines. Texas teachers are encouraged to sign up for vaccinations wherever they are willing to drive. The majority of locations providing the vaccination are already signed up to the max and it could prove to be difficult adding educational workers to this list.

Tomball ISD sent out emails to teachers in the past week noting places to sign up for the vaccine, including the Harris County Health Department and the Houston Methodist network. Some THS teachers reported being able to sign up for vaccine appointments within a couple of days of registering.

Approximately 100 CVS pharmacy locations in Texas will be providing the vaccine to educational workers. For teachers with mobile phones or access to the internet, you can schedule an appointment here on CVS.com or the CVS Pharmacy App. If those are not options, you can still contact them at (800) 746-7287.

Walmart has also been accepting appointments at their pharmacies. You can register online at Walmart.com.

On Tuesday, the district announced that St. Luke’s The Vintage hospital has COVID-19 vaccines set aside for TISD employees, with shots being offered between 7:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. on March 10-12, and March 16-18. If interested, employees should complete the TISD Vaccine Interest Form.