One girl, five lives: Junior’s life a balancing act

Lauryn Olivarez

Amelie Grostabussiat balances academics, band, sports and Scouts in a busy juggling act.

Lucas Botello, Print Editor

Unlike most jugglers using torches, bowling pins, knives, and fruit, junior Amelie Grostabussiat juggles trombones, basketballs, volleyballs, books and Scouts.

She is in the minority of students that juggle multiple electives, sports, and after-school activities while maintaining a high GPA.

She is involved in varsity volleyball and basketball, marching band, Girl Scouts and she is also in the Top 10 percent of the Class of 2023.

Amelie has been a section leader in marching band for two years for the trombone section. She works during the summer with the rest of the band leadership to organize how the summer band camp is run and helps teach the new freshman marching fundamentals.

In volleyball, Amelie is a middle blocker. The middle blocker, sometimes known as the middle hitter, is the tallest player on the volleyball team. They’re the first line of defense against the opposing team’s hits. Amelie was on the JV volleyball team from freshman to sophomore year and started playing for varsity her junior year.

She’s a really great teammate, she’s encouraging always smiling, having fun, she picks up other people when they need it,” said junior Irie Spry.

Not just her teammates but her coaches also think highly of Amelie. When asked how Amelie is on the court, Volleyball coach Jordan Williams said, Amelie is an all-around great student athlete, she works hard in everything she does and always has a smile on her face, she does a fantastic job balancing all of her activities and never really seems overwhelmed with it all, we are lucky to have her in our volleyball program.

Amelie is a center in basketball, which typically is the tallest player on the team, and often has a great deal of strength and body mass as well.

Amelie is a person that you want to know, She is kind, caring, helpful and and truly a perfect example of a person I would like my own children to emulate,” Girls Basketball coach Doug Barncastle said. 

With band, volleyball, basketball topped with AP and DC classes, the first semester is always the hardest to manage for Amelie.

“The end of volleyball and beginning of basketball overlap as well so that is the most busy time of the year because I need to make it to both of those practices and marching band,” Amelie said.

In Girl Scouts, she has earned her Bronze and Silver Award and is working toward her Gold award. The Bronze Award is the highest award a Girl Scout Junior can earn. To earn it, you and your team will identify a community issue you care about. Your team is you and other Girl Scout Juniors who are going on this adventure with you. Amelie helped count Box Tops and organize the food at Saint Anne’s Food Pantry for her Bronze Award.

The Silver Award is the highest award a Girl Scout Cadette can earn. A Girl Scout Cadette is in sixth, seventh, or eighth grade and completes projects to make the world a better place. This award gives the Cadette the chance to show that you are a leader who is organized, determined, and dedicated to improving your community. For this, Amelie created a library etiquette video for Tomball Elementary School library.

The Gold Award  is the highest achievement within the Girl Scouts of the USA, earned by Senior and Ambassador Girl Scouts. Only 5.4% of eligible Girl Scouts successfully earn the Gold Award. The goal of this award is to change the world or your life with this award. Amelie is undecided on what she will do for her Gold Award.

I’m sure it’s difficult to juggle all of her activities and school but she always makes up for the very few absences she does accumulate with a stellar attitude and outstanding performance,” senior Parker Bert said. 

None of this would be possible without the support and and encouragement that Amelie’s parents, Xavier and Katherine Grostabussaint, have given her throughout all of this.

Along with driving her around many places and showing their support for everything she does, Xavier and Katherine helped design and create the props that the TCP Marching Band used during their 2021 show, Celestial Journey.

She is certainly quite busy, but this has opened her up to so many opportunities and friendships that it has been worth it,” Xavier said.

Katherine has been to every band competition always there to support her daughter and the other kids who need it.

“Recently when asked which was her favorite activity she responded that whichever one she was currently in was her favorite so that reassured me she still is having fun and especially enjoying the friends she gets to hang out with during each of those practices,” Katherine said. 

Amelie Grostabussiat is the girl that lives five lives, enjoying each one as much as the other and always keeping a smile on her face.

We are grateful that she is able to pursue her passions and impressed how well she has managed to balance many things at once with good communication, organization and drive,” Katherine said. “We encourage her to let us know if she is getting overwhelmed and be honest if each discipline is still fun and fulfilling or if she needs to step back from something.”