Cougar Charm Sophia Elliott becomes Dancin’ Bluebonnet

Doug Opfer

Elliott performing with the Cougars Charms during a football half time show

Ally Osman, Senior Writer

Sophomore Sophia Elliott has had a passion for dance since her youth, and her recent recruitment as a Bluebonnet at the Dancin’ Bluebonnets Dance Studio, DB, is the next step in furthering her career as a competitive dancer.

Elliott has been dancing for 14 years and began dancing competitively when she was 8. She is trained in pointe as well as many other genres of dance, one of her favorites being contemporary. Elliott danced competitively with various dance studios until she became a Charm in 2020. She was a line member for 1 year before becoming a Lieutenant her sophomore year and is hoping to become Major her junior year.

A couple months ago Elliott was asked by DB to try out for this year’s competition team, and she accepted.

“I decided to take their offer because I want to further my training in dancing along with improving my leadership,” Elliott said. “It’s also an opportunity for me to compete on a Worlds team which is something I’ve never done before.”

The Dancin’ Bluebonnets were the 2021 World Champions and 9 time Summit Champions. Elliott hopes to help her Worlds teammates retain these titles this year at the various competitions the Bluebonnets will compete at.

“When considering someone for our Worlds team we’re not only looking at dance ability but also character, dedication, and leadership,” said DB director and choreographer and Cougar Charms Assistant Director Kelsie Cain. “Sophia is an outstanding example of this.”

“My experience so far has been amazing,” Elliott said. “I’ve already learned so much and I can’t wait to start my first competition season as a Bluebonnet.”