Artists saddle up for success

Elaine Griffin, Gold Medal Winner

Elaine Griffin, Gold Medal Winner

Bishop Van Buren, Sports Editor

Tomball High School held its annual TISD Rodeo Art Show Saturday, January 27th. Students from grades kindergarten-12th had their artwork on display in the lower lobby. The art show generated a large crowd, as families and friends of the artists who had their art on display came to observe and support their work.

Although the TISD Art Show was a popular event, not many know how far some of our Coog artists have come. Twenty-five students from across the district were chosen as finalists for having their artwork selected to be displayed at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo – 14 of which were Tomball High School students.

The judges selected six of those 25 finalists to advance, the “Best Of Show”, two “Gold Medals”, and three “Special Merits.” Their art will be presented in the Hayloft Gallery of NRG Stadium throughout the entirety of the Rodeo (Feb. 27 through March 18). Tomball High School will be excellently represented at the show with five of the six selected student art pieces.

Santiago Gonzalez, senior, was able to bring home the “Best Of Show” award, which is the highest attainable award. When Santiago was asked about his accomplishment, he made it clear he was surprised he had done so well.

“Rodeo art is very traditional, therefore they prefer it in pencil and hardly accept artwork that is done in pen,” Santiago said. “I did mine in pen.”

The rest of the spots were filled by seniors Simone Ritchey and Elaine Griffin (Gold Medal) and sophomores Macy Rockey and Autumn Miller (Special Merit).

“I knew I would make it to the Art Show,” said Griffin. “But I never thought I would do as well as I did.”

Artwork by other students which did not advance but still earned ribbons are on display near the front desk of the school.