Houston film festival brings student opportunities

For kids who are interested in writing or film, the 45th annual international Houston Film Festival is in April of 2013 and registration is starting now. Even though this is usually thought of as a professional film fest, students play a big part as well.

If you do decide to enter, there is a category for High school students and from there a student is allowed to pick what they’re interested in.

The categories range from independent shorts, independent feature films and videos, independent student films, television and cable, web-based productions, TV commercials and public service, screenplays and scripts, music video productions, new media and much more.

For those who enter in cinematography, which would be just one of the categories under independent shorts, could potentially win $2,500 dollars in Kodak film.

Students should keep in mind that entering or participating in events like this looks good on college applications.

The main festival entry deadline is Saturday, Dec. 15. “Brick Wall” entry deadline is January 31, 2013. There is an entry fee but it depends on what category you’re entering.

This is also a great way to meet others who are interested in the same thing as you. If you want to learn more go to worldfest.org/indexb.html.