Coogs kick off district play at Mag West

Brooke McGarrah

Coaches work with the players to make sure their ready for the district opener on Friday.

Bishop Van Buren, Sports Editor

The Cougars will begin one of their most anticipated football seasons on Friday, August 27th as they travel to Magnolia West High School to take on the Mustangs in their first district game of 2019. Tickets for the District Opener will be sold both at the game, but also online at https://gofan.co/app/school/TX72385. This will be the Mustang’s Homecoming game, so expect a very large crowd at the game and long ticket lines as the much anticipated 2019 season gets underway.

Mag West will look to build off of last year’s successful season in which they went 6-1 in district play, their only loss coming from the undefeated district champion Lufkin High School. An exciting match up to watch will be our receiving corps go up against the Mustangs 6’3 Defensive Back Ryan Clark, a recent Texas Tech commit who leads mostly returning starters from last year. 

Expect a new look Mustangs this year as Blake Joseph, previously the Mustang’s Offensive Coordinator, takes the reigns in his first season as Head Coach. Though Joseph had a large say in the offense of last year’s successful team, expect the offense to be much different this year with his new position enabling him to be as creative as he likes.

“It’ll be a great game no doubt,” said Kicker Jake Jordan. “I’m excited for us to start District season with a bang and hopefully with a tally in the win column too.”

Make sure to come out support your Cougars as they travel to Mag West to take on the rival Mustangs in the 2019 District Opener.