Cougars look for W to close out Pre-District play

Football+team+before+game.+

Yearbook Staff

Football team before game.

Bishop Van Buren, Sports Editor

The Cougars will travel to Port Neches this Friday as they face off against the PNG Indians in their final game before the beginning of District play. Both the Cougars and the Indians will look to get their second win a row, with the Cougars beating Santa Fe by a score of 42-14 and the Indians beating Huntsville 27-10.

“We really played hard last week and I’m proud of my team,” cornerback Adam Terrell said. “That being said, we’ve got a lot of work to do as district is getting close. We’ll start by beating PNG.”

The player to watch for the Indians is offensive tackle Jaylen Garth, a 4-star University of Texas commit, ranked as the 19th best prospect in Texas and the 13th best OT in the nation according to 247Sports. Garth committed to be a Longhorn back in February, where he will be joining former varsity teammate Roschon Johnson, now backing up Sam Ehlinger at quarterback in his freshman season at UT (and even got some looks at running back in UT’s game against LSU this past Saturday). This will be Garth’s first season without Johnson, who he had protected for each of the past two seasons, the last of which Garth earned All-District 12-5A and The News Super Team Honors. 

“I think Roschon being there had something to do with his decision,” PNG Head Coach Brandon Faircloth told PANews.com. “He felt like it was the right thing to do for him and his family.”

After making the  Region 3 SemiFinals for the third straight season, the Indians look poised for yet another run. The Coogs are hoping fans come out and support them at PNG High School as they look to throw a wrench in the Indian’s plans and finish off Pre-District play with a W.