Fish FAQs about THS

Eigth-graders last spring were asked what concerns they had about high school. Some common questions:

Q: Are the teachers nice?

A: Most teachers here are generally nice and will always be there to help whenever you need it.

Q: Is it cold in the school?

A: It can get pretty chilly in some classrooms and really hot in others; it is a good idea to keep a light jacket nearby.

Q: Do freshman constantly get picked on?

A: Honestly, the worst thing you will endure is being called a freshmen/dumb freshmen/fish. We have all been through it.

Q: What is the dress code like?

A: Dress code rules can be found in the Student Handbook you will receive the first week of school. It is not very strict, it is very similar to the junior high dress code.

Q: Are there a lot of bullies?

A: If by bullies you mean people that will pick on you, I do not think there is a school in the world without those, but if you mean people who will shove you in a locker, then no, we do not have any of those.

Q: Is there a lot of homework?

A: There is definitely a lot more homework than junior high. Depending on the class and teacher, you could have homework every night, which you usually do.

Q: How can you make it to your classes in 6 minutes?

A: Though it seems difficult, it is absolutely possible. There is a 3-minute warning bell that will help you keep track of time, if you go straight to class and not talk to friends, you will make it in time. Do not stress if you get lost, tardies do not count the first week of school.

Q: How can you get a letterman jacket?

A: Lettermen jackets can be earned through varsity sports, usually being in clubs for 2 years, and through academics.

Q: Is high school hard?

A: At times high school may seem impossible, but for the most part, it is not that hard.

Q: Are there certain cliques?

A: Of course there are cliques, cliques are in most if not every high school, it is inevitable. No matter where you go, there will always be cliques.

Q: How long are the classes?

A: The classes are around 50 minutes long with a six minute passing period.

Q: What classes are required to graduate?

A: Aside from the four credits of each core class, everyone is required to take two years of a foreign language, health, one and a half PE credits, a technical applications (BCIS) class, a communication applications class, one fine art, and two and a half credits of electives.

Q: Will people help you if you are lost?

A: Teachers will give the most help, but the signs on the wall will be your best friend. Once you get used to it, you realize the school is not that big, but if you are in desperate need of help, I am sure someone will help you.

Q: How do I handle being in advanced classes and sports?

A: Time management and setting your priorities straight.

Q: Can we bring backpacks to class?

A: Yes, and it is highly encouraged. You rarely use your locker.

Q: Is ‘National Pet a Freshman Day’ real?

A: As weird as it sounds, yes, it is real.

Q: Why does everyone hate freshmen?

A: Because they are small and easy to pick on.

Q: Is high school like what you see in TV/movies?

A: Not at all… Welcome to reality. The high schools you see in TV/movies are highly glamorized and it seems like they can get away with anything. Also, those students are never in class and have hour breaks in between each class, we are not like that at all.

Q: Will we lose friends that we already have?

A: Yeah, you most likely will. You grow apart and start to mature in high school, as well as hang out with new crowds.

Q: Do people change?

A: Yes, generally everyone changes. Some for the worse and some for the better. Knowing who your true friends really are will help you stay grounded.