The dream of all dreams

Why do we celebrate MLK Jr day?
Natalia Martinez

On the third Monday in January, students celebrate a day off of school. But this day is much more than a day off; it’s a memorial of the life and legacy of Martin Luther King Jr.

Martin Luther King Jr was a prominent figure in the civil rights movement for racial equality and reform. King led protests and marches for several issues such as voting, segregation, etc. He changed the game for revolution and rebellion as all of these acts were done peacefully.

During the 1963 March on Washington King delivered his speech entitled “I Have a Dream.” This speech is remembered as one of the most iconic and influential speeches in American history as it was a direct call to action against racism in America.

Immediately following this speech he helped the installment of Selma’s voting rights. These achievements contributed by King led to bigger achievements such as having a voice and say in the 1964 Civil Rights Act, the 1965 Voting Rights Act, and the Fair Housing Act of 1968.

So don’t think of this as just a day off. Think about the man who helped build the nation to where it is now.