Are you ready? Prom is coming fast

Prom is closer than you think. While the calendar says prom is 3 months away, you have to start your preparations today to make that night special.

Prom will be May 19th at the Crown Plaza Houston Northwest Hotel, followed by Project Prom at Main Event in The Woodlands.

Reservations will fill up fast for restaurant, limos, and other necessities. Prom is also expensive and making a budget now is important.

“No I haven’t, nothing at all,” senior Alen Leal said when asked about starting his prom preparations.  “Not at all. I’ll get it together.” 

Alen surely isn’t the only senior procrastinating. Those who are planning ahead may find their prom night to go much more smoothly.

And there definitely seems to be a difference of strategy between the sexes.

Jesse Dennison says he plans to spend $250 on “a nice night” for prom, but doesn’t plan to start preparations until April. Meanwhile, Courtney Frye is well under way on her prom plans.

“Made reservations for dinner, I have gotten my dress, scheduled my hair appointment, and made sure I had a date,” Frye said.

Frye estimates her prom night will cost $500.

Others look at cutting costs without cutting fun.

“I don’t really have a limit, it will end up being real expensive but it only happens once in your life,” said senior Jessica Cronin, who plans to wear her Miss Tomball pageant dress to save money.

Another way to save is to go to prom as part of a larger group, which Cronin plans to do.

Just make sure your party plans don’t involve any risky behavior. School rules apply at prom, and any student caught with alcohol or drugs, or under the influence, can face stiff penalties. Get caught with a drink and you may not get to walk at graduation.

Whatever your budget, and whatever your plans, prom is a chance for one last high school memory.

“I just really want to have fun,” senior Jessica Melindez said. “I want it to be a time to remember with the people I care about most.”