Reborn Band’s March to Contest

Enduring the scorching Texasweather since Aug. 1 with nothing but hard work and sweat, the one and only Tomball Cougar Pride Band has been dedicating its time and effort in hopes to get more recognition for Tomball High School. 

For nearly the whole month of August, band members were called in for two-a-days in order to begin learning their movements and steps in their new half-time show.

“Our goal is to get first place at contest in Sam Houston and Lonestar,” said Chandler Evey, junior tuba player.

Contrary to common belief, marching band is much more than half time entertainment.  Similar to other UIL contest, bands ultimate goal for their show is to get first in the many contests they will participate in October.

“It’s a lot of hard work,” Lauren Boehm, junior flute player says.  “It’s just such an awesome experience!” 

Putting in an average of eight hours per week throughout the school year, these musicians have done nothing but practice until it is perfect.

This year is a different year for the cougar band, after a heartfelt farewell to one of their favorite band directors, Andy Easton.  In his place Steve Fry has accepted the challenge to take on Tomball Cougar Pride Band. 

“They are both strict but different,” Evey said. “They both have their little quirks.  Not only does Fry have to adjust to the new students, school and traditions, but the students have to adapt to Fry’s teaching.” 

“He has instituted a bunch of new techniques which I think have helped our fundamentals and the band in general,” Boehm said.  Together the students and Fry bring in different ideas that have the potential of going far this year.

What helps these students the most is the love and enjoyment they have in the band. 

“The friends you make and directors are all people you can count on,” Boehm said.  “You can count on them for anything, forever, and have memories you will never forget.” 

It is not merely people playing music together. The Cougar Band is a family.     

[slideshow id=14 w=580 h=400]