Getting a kick out of boys’ soccer

Getting a kick out of boys soccer
“Remarkable, to summarize in the least of words,” senior Jessica Evey said of Tomball’s nationally ranked boys varsity team.

Two. Only two other schools in the country within the U.S.A are ranked higher than Tomball’s undefeated varsity crew. That’s not even enough to fill up one hand.

Tomball is ranked third in the nation according to ESPN. The highest-ranked school other than Tomball in District 13-5A is Klein Oak, which was ranked No. 8 when it faced then-fifth ranked Tomball earlier this season.

The Cougars topped the Panthers 4-1 that day.

Last week, the Cougars faced district power Klein, and came away with a tie. They won their first meeting.

The team has been feautured in the Houston Chronicle on many occasions this season, so this type of recognition is probably an equivalent to a pat on the back or “good job” for the team from the local soccer fans and writers.

But Tomball is deserving, after last year’s team survived without any blemish at all until the playoffs rolled around. This year seems to be more of the same.

As of Mar. 9th the Cougars standing record is (19-0-3) overall and (9-0-2) in district

Reflecting on Tomball’ past handful of games, losing would be out of character for this varisty soccer squad.

“We don’t lose,” junior defender Dalton Kille said.

Seems to come off a bit too confident but the records do the talking, and are saying the same thing.

There are multiple reasons why the Cougars have been sucessful. Partly the team’s motto of “Intergrity, Discipline, Alliance.” If it’s not obviously being worn on a soccer team t-shirt just go to Coach James Woodard’s English classroom – it’s plastered to the wall for all students to see.

The leadership of the team is in the hands of senior captain Logan Miller, who signed with Regis University this past National Signing Day.

“Not only is he a great player, he’s a great person,” Woodard said. “He’s done a great job with his team mates and definitely deserves it.”

The last key to their sucess whether true or not is the classroom played game of “soccer-tennis.” The game is set up on the floor with boundraries put in place by tape and storage crates.

“Soccer-tennis is the secret to our success,” spilled Woodard.