One big family; one big opportunity

An 8-2 record, predicted to be dead last in district, and finished 3rd , head coach made ‘Coach of the week’ by the Houston Texans, a ride into the post-season, a community voting to make the playoff game ‘Game of the week’ on the local news and a actual reason to call Tomball High School the pride of Texas.

All of that seemed almost unfathomable at the end of the unimpressive season last year. But not to keep harping on that Tomball’s varsity football program has pulled a complete 180 on students, staff, community and sports analysis.

‘We Believe’ is the motto that has stuck behind this team through-out the season.

Believing this season made some unforgettable moments for Tomball, the fourth-quarter comeback to Dekaney was called a miracle and made many other non-believers to hop onto the ‘We Believe” ban wagon.

Clinching a playoff spot means a ton to everyone since it’ll be the first time in seven years for Tomball to advance that far.

Winning against Kingwood on the other hand first would be the first win in the post-season since 1989 for the Cougars.

It’s almost mid-November and the boys are now the boys of fall.

Who knew a good football season would have such an impact on the school.

“There’s such a different feeling around school this year, you can see how proud people are of the school,” said, principle Gregg Quinn.

“We’re seeing 18 people out on that field rather than just seeing individuals,” added Quinn.

Fourty-five.

Fourty-five is the number of seniors representing varsity football.

Not only do the seniors on the team feel that this season is special but so does practically the rest of the 2011 class.

“It’s really exciting because we’ve been waiting and waiting for our senior year and now that it’s finally come, and the fact that we made the playoffs is just the icing on the cake,” said senior, Jessica Evey.

Games in the stands have been loud. And some wouldn’t have it any other way.

Tomball has its very own vuvuzela group.

All the rage since the World Cup 2010 fans have caught on.

“We’re giving the team an advantage. While annoying the opposing team and pumping up the fans, it’s a win win,” said senior and leader of the energetically loud group, Sam Nance. “Hopefully it’ll work during playoffs, if we run into another it’ll be war.”

Going out, prepared mentally and physically will play a huge factor in this game and possible advancements in the playoffs.

Every aspect of the game is going to get harder for the team warned coaches after making the post-season.

But in words of Kaiser, “You gotta eat beans and cornbread, Monday through Thursday so you can have your Blue Bell on Friday.”