Model’s death a grim warning

On Nov. 17, French model Isabelle Caro died from complications from the eating disorder anorexia. She was only 28 years old.

Already well known as a model, Caro made headlines with an anti-anorexia photo called “No Anorexia,” taken by Italian photographer Oliviero Toscani. The picture was very graphic, showing her at 75 pounds, with her spinal cord and facial bones showing through her skin.

This picture revolutionized how the world viewed anorexia; overly thin models were banned in Italy, and helped lead Spain to ban incredibly thin models in their shows. Caro helped to change the world’s perception of super-skinny models but could not overcome the illness.

Caro suffered from anorexia from the age of 13. She weighed 55 pounds at the worst of her worst condition, and was even hospitalized. She was in a coma that no one thought she could beat, but she did.

After returning to France from a trip to Tokyo, Caro was hospitalized for two weeks due to respiratory problems that was linked to her anorexia. Her parents didn’t report her death until almost a month later, on Dec. 29.

Her death highlights the impact society can have on women, as overly skinny women are held up by the fashion world as ideal body types.