Debate helps craft next big actors, politicians

Learn more by stopping in Room 1202 after school every Wednesday

What do the President of the United States and Zac Efron have in common?

Debate!

Many world leaders, and famous celebrities, started out in their high school debate teams. If you want to develop crucial life skills as they did, join the THS Debate team.

The Tomball High School debate team is making a running start following a record-breaking year with tournaments starting in a few short weeks. After earning a name in the Texas Forensics Association in the 22-23 season, with a state-qualifying World Schools team, THS Debate is more excited than ever to welcome new recruits. 

The first official debate team meeting of the year took place recently and welcomed new or returning debaters and speakers. The coach, Kami Faldyn, is “ecstatic about the new season, and ready to make it better than the last.” The new team of officers has been meeting throughout the summer in order to organize monthly tournaments and a practice schedule that ensures a successful, and fun season. 

The team hosts a number of events, from Lincoln Douglas Debate to Foreign Extemporaneous Speech, to Humorous Interpretation. There are options for every student, at every level, to develop not only their speaking but also their leadership skills.

“Since joining a debate leadership position, I’ve learned how to be a better speaker, but more importantly, a more confident person,” sophomore and team Treasurer Sisi Altom said.

While the team traditionally remains local, there will be options for travel tournaments this year. While growing as a team, more networking opportunities have presented themselves at out-of-town competitions. This has made for more widespread competition and social interaction. 

“I’ve met some of my closest friends through tournaments, and made amazing memories,” said Ross Stroble, the team’s Vice President.

If you’re interested in kicking off this school year with a boost to not just your resume, but also your communication skills, swing by the next debate meeting, after school every Wednesday in Room 1202.

Events offered by debate:

• World Schools Debate
  • Domestic or Foreign Extemporaneous Speaking 
  • Lincoln Douglas debate
  • Public Forum Debate
  • Original Oratory
  • Cross Examination Debate
  • Prose
  • Poetry
  • Impromptu
  • Informative
  • Humorous Interpretation