The Paramore Eulogy

Alternative pop rock band Paramore’s recent upheaval has sparked numerous rumors and speculation as to their future. For those who are not aware of the turmoil Paramore has faced, Josh and Zak Farro (lead guitarist and percussionist) have left the band.

The news was announced Dec. 8 on Paramore.net by the remaining band members Hayley Williams, Jeremy, and Taylor. The blog stated that the two were no longer happy with their part in the band and wanted to try other projects.

It was no secret that the band has had some internal problems in the last few years. The blog concluded by stating that Paramore has no intentions of disbanding and that their disbandment is just “another chapter in [their] journey together” and that they support the brothers in “finding happiness elsewhere.”

But merely a day later, Josh released a statement about Hayley’s role in the band and the apparent influence of her manager, which caused her to treat the rest of the band “as her solo act.” He began by explaining that Hayley released the aforementioned blog about their departure “without their permission.” Josh went on to talk about how the band became a “manufactured product of a major label.”

The departure of these key band members presents a major dilemma considering Josh was the main writing force in the band. Hayley helped by writing lyrics however the future of the band is now in question with the creative force of the main writer gone, so it will be a difficult position to fill.

One way of looking at it is if they do fill the position, it would no longer be Paramore. Some fans think that by replacing members the sound and personality of the band could change to where they will not be recognized as the same band.

However this isn’t stopping the group from trying to continue. Recently the remaining members threw together some music in a phone camera quality video on their website showing a new song called “In the Mourning.” A glimmer of hope for those who want the band to continue writing music.

Unfortunately the future of this once talented and successful band can already be easily predicted. Most likely no one will hear from the Farro brothers again, and the remaining members of the band will ride out their diminishing popularity with tours for several years. If Haley, who already writes lyrics, writes the rest of the music then she could reach the conclusion that she doesn’t need the other members of the band.

What could possibly come out of the potential demise of Paramore is a brief solo career from Hayley Williams which will probably be pop oriented.