Former Coog now messin’ with Sasquatch

Commercials are apart of our culture and influence our lives in many ways. Whether it be quoting funny catch-lines or anxiously waiting for the next commercial that will make you rewind your DVR, commercials are large components of the TV-watching experience.

There’s one aspect of commercials that many don’t think about: “voice-overs.” Voice-overs are the voices of unseen commentators in a movie or a television program.

For those who have seen the “Messin’ with Sasquatch” commercials, when the voice at the beginning of the commercial says, “Jack Link’s Beef Jerky presents, Messin’ with Sasquatch,” that is the work of a former Tomball High School student, Chad Brannon.

During his years at Tomball High School, Brannon was a baseball and football jock who planned on practicing law after college. Surprisingly, Brannon took a radical turn in career paths when a friend dared him to audition for the high school play. Brannon received the lead in the comedy, The Nerd.

As a result of his new found passion, Brannon quit football and baseball. He devoted all of his spare time to studying the art of acting and, eventually, it paid off. On a theater scholarship, he attended Sam Houston State University. A year and a half into his stay at Sam Houston, he decided to move to L.A. to see if he had what it takes to make it in Hollywood.

Less than a year after leaving Texas, Brannon guest-starred in episodes of Fox’s Malcolm in the Middle, MTV’s Undressed, Days of Our Lives and more. In 2000, ABC cast him as Zander Smith in the drama General Hospital for six weeks.

“I don’t know what just happened, but I think this is going to put me on “the map,” Chad remembered telling friends and family in Texas.

His feeling that his six-week contract with ABC would put him on “the map” proved to be correct when he was then given a long-term contract and stayed with the show until 2004.

In 2003, Brannon was nominated for a Daytime Emmy for outstanding younger actor, and in 2004, Brannon was nominated and won the Daytime Emmy for outstanding younger actor.

Soon after, Brannon continued guest-starring on several more television shows including, Friday Night Lights, Cold Case, and Deadwood.

Brannon then found a new position in the “voice-over” aspect of television.  In just one week after auditioning, he booked two national commercials and a narration gig, all of which continue to run today.

He has dreams of Hollywood stardom, but is content to work his way there.

“I think most actors – when it comes down to it – will take any gig they can get,” he wrote on his website. “I’d love to do film and that’s my goal, but goals don’t have to be achieved right away.”

Today, Brannon is the Fox Network’s main promo voice for their comedy shows including The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, The Cleveland Show, King of the Hill, Glee and more. Brannon is one of today’s regular voices on television.

Brannon’s most recent voice-over projects have been two Jack Link’s Beef Jerky “Messin’ with Sasquatch” commercials that were released in 2010.