Students are no strangers to stress

Carly Sander, Opinion Editor

Student stress is on the rise, especially this final grading period of the semester. Grades are very important, as they are a big part in calculating averages and determining if students pass or fail.

With piles of homework each night, multiple tests to study for at a time, all while just trying to be a normal teenager, students are no stranger to stress. It’s natural to become a bit overwhelmed when having too many things on your plate every now and then, but this is a constant feeling for many students.

“What seems to be more frustrating than anything is not the actual assigning of the work, but the amount that’s assigned,” junior, Tyler Truss, said.

Many teachers do not seem to realize that most students have up to 6 other classes that assign work each night as well. On top of all of that, several students are also involved in various extracurricular activities both inside and outside of school, meaning that there are often meetings and/or practices they have to attend, including sports events that can last several hours.

Some students are also employed, working late hours without time to complete all the assignments they are given. With all the work they have to do, stress slowly breaks them down and causes their grades to fall from “good” to “okay”, and from “okay” to “bad”. This can prove to be detrimental to their GPA.

“Trying to complete out of class assignments can be too much to bear at times, making juggling personal, work, and school life one of the hardest things I’ve ever attempted,” Truss said.

While you may feel like you just can’t relax, there are many simple, healthy, solutions that you could do in just a few minutes. Getting rid of your stress could be as easy just taking a break from your work.

Going outside, getting fresh air, and absorbing your surroundings can really take your focus away from your worries. Activities such as exercising, praying, and taking baths are also really great ways to cope with your stress.

While there are healthy ways to handle stress, there are also unhealthy ways, some of them being the most tempting. Sleeping your problems away will NOT work, and will only make you more stressed. The more you sleep the more tired you actually end up feeling. As a result, you will find it hard to focus when you eventually get back to your work.  

Eating your feelings will not work either. Reaching for your favorite potato chips or a candy bar may make you feel good for the moment, but you’ll regret it later. If you do that every time you get stressed, you’ll be eating constantly and that can lead to weight gain, gastrointestinal issues, and even more stress.

Although it may be easy to take shelter under your covers or in a big bag of chips, it will only hurt you in the long run. Take a few minutes and go outside, make yourself a nice warm bath, and just relax.