One final look back at the 2022-2023 school year

Lauryn Olivarez

Tomball High student section cheering at the Patriot game

Lauren Nolen, Staff Writer

Let’s close this year out with some flashes of memories. From sports achievements to fun student life, this year has proven to be special. These moments are what make us the Pride of Texas. To close out the 2022-2023 school year, here is a quick recap of this year’s finest memories.

Football
Kicking off a successful football season, Tomball High School proved its superiority to Tomball Memorial at the 42nd annual Patriotic Game. After a long-fought game, the Cougars managed to continue their streak as they won against Memorial for the second year, with a final score of 35-27.

“Overall this season was nothing short of extraordinary, the student body, the staff, the entire town was behind this team.  I cannot thank Coach Handal and the entire staff for allowing me to be a part of this journey, thank you to the players and best of luck to all the Seniors on their upcoming journeys” Senior Ashton Lux said.

Homecoming
Homecoming rolled around in October. After a parade down Main Street on Wednesday to kick things off, Tomball defeated Klein Forest for the win, as Kendall Rickett was named Homecoming Queen. With a theme of A Night in New Orleans, the dance was a rousing success.

Theatre

Tomball STAGE had a busy and productive year. To see more details on what they were up to, see the story on page 3

The big move
Tomball Star Academy, our previous upstairs neighbors, moved out during winter break. Now that they reside in their own building, many classrooms changed location and stairwells opened up, making passing periods smoother. While this change did cause confusion once students returned in January, by the end of the school year everyone seemed to adapt to the changes and appreciate the extra space.

Soccer
Our boys’ and girls’ varsity soccer teams made history at the end of March. Both teams made it to the Regional Quarterfinals, this being the 2nd time in the history of the program to make it to this stage.

“The thing that made this season special was the bond we had as teammates,” Freshman Gabby Mccustion said. “That is the main reason we made it so far in playoffs.”

Prom
Now for the most magical, the most hyped-up night of the year for seniors, Prom. Prom is one of the last chances for seniors to enjoy and close out their high school careers. This year’s theme was “Starry Night”, with Joseph Riley and Peyton Quesnel crowned prom king and queen. Taking place at the Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel, according to attendees, the music was perfectly put together and the food was delicious. Project prom followed afterwards where the students stayed overnight at the school.

As we close out the year and reminisce on the good memories made, it is just as important that we remember those wonderful souls lost: Alexis Hirsch, Waylon Collins, Carson Collins, Hudson Collins, Bryson Collins, and Mark Collins. You all will be in our hearts forever and always.

“Out of all the amazing things that went down this year,” Assistant Principal Mark Vierkant said. “My absolute favorite thing will be seeing the senior class finish up the year strong and graduate.”