“Play On”, Tomball theater

Faith Leveillee, Staff Writer

For the first fall production of the new school year, Tomball Theater is performing Play On by Rick Abbot. Opening night has been scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 20, at 7 p.m. in the auditorium. The show will also be performed on Sept. 21, 22 and 24, all  shows beginning at 7 p.m.. 

Similar to other plays such as Noises Off and The Play That Goes Wrong, Play On is an iconic comedy featuring actors who must learn last minute revisions to the script with barely a few days to prepare before the opening night.

The production is a double cast, meaning there are two sets of actors, each set performing on opposing nights. In estimate, the play will consist of around 45 different students, each having been working hard to make the production possible since August 13 of this year. 

“I was nervous because the show was three acts so we knew it was going to be a longer show, a bit harder to do, but overall, I was just really excited about it,” stage manager Dalton Kendrick said.

Comedies are known to be more difficult to execute than dramas or any other genre of script. 

“One of the challenges with this play are some scenes are repeated because you see the same play three times, but it changes each time where something else might go wrong, so having to be able to adjust even though you’re saying the same lines, your reaction and what you do might be different,” theater director Clint Cottom said.

But besides the difficulties and challenges, the cast of the show is practically buzzing with nerves and excitement as the opening night quickly approaches.

“How do I feel about the play?… I love the play,” actor George Salcido said, “for the fact that we as a group (in character) are trying to get everything right but everything is going wrong and we (out of character) find ourselves laughing.”