History in the Making: Soccer clinches District championship

Ashton Lux, Sports Editor

With the 1-1 tie last week versus Klein Cain, the boys varsity team clinched their first district title in more than 10 years. As the playoffs loom later this week, they have a moment to reflect on the accomplishments and great strides they have made as a program this year.

“It feels great to win districts and play with such an amazing team,” Coach Martin Metcalf said. “We’ve worked hard all season but we all know the job is far from finished. It feels great but we still have to prepare for playoffs to win state.

“It took everything we had to win districts, from training hard in practice to carrying that into the field and beating any team that stood in our way. We did have some downs this season but the difference between this season and last season was that we bounced back from those downs and worked even harder so it won’t happen again.”

Following the last game of district play versus Klein ending in a 1-0 loss, the Cougars begin to prepare for the first round of the playoffs. 

Last year after placing fourth in district and clinching a playoff spot, they were knocked out in the first round against rival school, Bridgeland 4-1. In order to change the narrative of being knocked out early, senior Ashton Conterras knows what the Cougars have to do to change that narrative.

“For the playoffs, we will review game film of Cy Lakes and work on exposing their weak points during training,” Conterras said. “We have to stay focused and work hard but we plan on going far this year”

The Cougars will take on Cy Lakes in round one of Bi District playoffs Friday at 7 p.m. at Cy Fair High School.

“I knew I had to focus on my goal that I set for myself before we started the season which was to win districts and hopefully take my team to a state final,” Metcalf said. “I am very close to breaking the school record for goals in 1 season so I hope to do that very soon,”