Playoff Game preview

Back to Article
Back to Article

Playoff Game preview

Bishop Van Buren, Sports Editor

The Cougars will be traveling to Tyler on Friday to face off against the John Tyler Lions in the first round of playoffs for the Bi-District title game. This comes after defeating Willis last week by a score of 42-7, a game full of emotion due to it being the last home game for seniors. The win secured the Cougars spot as fourth in district with a final record of 4-3.

Though they were undoubtedly happy to have secured a spot in a tight playoff race, their seeding caused them to have play the Lions, who gained the first place spot in their own district with an undefeated district record. Last year the Lions went 3-4 in district play, causing them to miss the playoffs and snapping their nine year streak. This year however is a different story, as the Lions entire football system had a clean sweep, with Varsity, JV and both freshman teams boasting the title of undefeated district champions.

“I mean they are undefeated and all… but it isn’t that good of a district,” linebacker Blake Gandy said, “But they are gonna be tough and were still gonna have to focus and play well.”

It won’t help that along with facing such a tough opponent, the Cougars will be faced with tough weather conditions too. Weather.com forecasts 50 degree weather, which would be an improvement over the last few days cold and hard winds, yet there’s no doubt it will still be chillier than most of us Texans are used to.

“Well it’s supposed to be around as cold as last week I think, and we still played good so we should be alright,” said cornerback Adam Terrell, “I’m only worried about if it’s gonna be cold on the three hour bus ride.”

The winner of the Bi-district Championship between our Cougars and the John Tyler Lions will face the winner of Lancaster vs Frisco Wakeland. That match will be the first of area play and will take place the following Friday.

But before that game will occur, the Cougars are still faced with the challenge of beating the John Tyler Lions this Friday.

About the Writer
Bishop Van Buren, Sports Editor

Hi! I'm Bishop, the Sports Editor for The Cougar Claw. I'm a junior at THS and love hanging out with friends, playing basketball, and watching football,...