Cougar football teams left with lasting memory after visiting Santa Fe

Bishop Van Buren, Sports Editor

The varsity football team came out with an exciting win last Friday over the Santa Fe Indians, scoring the go ahead touchdown in the last 45 seconds of the fourth quarter.

After failing to convert on a 2-point try, the score was 20-19, leaving Santa Fe’s offense with just enough time to come back. Luckily the Cougar’s defense was able to hold the Indians, securing the win and advancing to a 1-1 record this season.

The bigger story of the game though, is how the team would act when playing under such unique circumstances. As many know, Sante Fe High School was home to a terrible tragedy on May 18th, when a mass shooting took the lives of 17 students and left another 17 injured. To make matters even worse, there was a reported threat the day of the game.

“The vibe was so wack,” defensive tackle Jalen Pierre said, “We were all pretty tense and scared to be honest. Especially since there were a ton of cops there.”

On the other side of the line, Erik Laneave, junior starting tackle, said this game definitely had a different atmoshpere.

“It was just weird man,” Laneave said. “It was one of the weirdest feelings I’ve ever felt. And for the game to end like it did… I don’t know what i would’ve done if I was in their shoes.”

Not only does Tomball get there first win of the season, but they also get to experience something very unique.