It’s not easy on the green

The golf team slaves away at practice three hours a day in order to perform at districts in the spring. They increase their potential at every practice by focusing on the mechanics, and “getting the perfect swing,” as junior Colton Stanaland would say.

Tomball may have sized down to a 4A district, but the competition is still intense. They don’t know what Tomball is going to bring to the course.

“The varsity girls have such a huge shot at going to regional’s as a team. It’s really exciting!” previous district title holder Maryssa Ferries said.

Ferries is certainly holding up her end. She captured first place this week at the Klein Invitational after shooting a 33 on the back nine.

“Maryssa’s first-place finish clearly shows she is one of the best in the Houston area,” her coach wrote.

The players genuinely enjoy what they do. Some even participate in events outside of school to better their game. “We make sure to have fun while improving,” said senior Austin Owens.  Owens recently won a charity tournament and continues to excel in school tournaments.

Although their devotion to the sport is a big part of their success, the Cougars owe much of it to the man that works with them every day, the coach.

“Coach Taylor not only betters our golf game, but our mental game, too,” Ferries said.

“He really cares about each player,” Owens said.

And Taylor knows just how to strike up a competitive spirit; him and Ferries are “battling it out on the course,” she said. “Whoever scores the most wins, but we haven’t decided what yet.” As of right now, Ferries is winning.

The outcome of a team’s prosperity lies in the perseverance and discipline the team members have.  It is clear that the Tomball Golf team has put an exceptional amount of effort in the success of their team.

The corresponding passion all of the members of the team share make it possible for everyone to work hard and have fun participating in a sport they love.