Keep the Cougar spirit rolling

Students’ attitudes toward the Coogs have changed since the team’s loss to Klein Collins.

Prior to last Friday, the Coogs were on a 5-0 winning streak and everyone had their mind set that the team was going to go far. Hype and school spirit ran throughout the student body. But when the Coogs failed to score one touchdown during the whole course of the game, that spirit and hope seem to fade away.

“While I was sitting there hearing the foul remarks about the team I was surprised at how many people were giving up,” said Anishka Jett, a devoted Cougar fan.

Yes, everyone wanted the team to go 11-0 and become No. 1 in District 13-5A, but one loss shouldn’t leave anyone belittling the team or giving up on the season. Klein Collins is 17-1 over the past two seasons, and is a well-known power house. Losing to them isn’t exactly something be embarrassed about.

District titles, such as many were expecting to win, aren’t something that can be won all of a sudden, when our football team’s recent history has offered no sign of even being close to the title. The saying goes, “You have to learn how to lose before you can win.”

And while a district title might be tough to pull off, a playoff spot is a very real possibility – something that few expected entering this year.

“That one tough loss is what’s going to make the players play harder the rest of the season,” said varsity player Elijah Turner.

With attitudes like that, and not as much criticism from fans, the weight should be off the players’ shoulders and their focus should be on doing better than last year, and not leaving their fans cheerless.