E-Cigarette violations mean mandatory DAEP Placement

New law aims to combat rising epidemic in vaping
Vaping+and+Smoking+Awareness+editorial+cartoon.+
Faithlyn Leveillee
Vaping and Smoking Awareness editorial cartoon.

A new Texas law, House Bill 114, has been passed in order to work against the vaping epidemic found today in schools all over the country. A recent study posted by the FDA states that estimated 42% of highschool students partake in smoking E-cigarettes. This law will punish those who are caught smoking, passing, or holding a vape, even if it’s empty, by placing them in a mandatory 10 days of DAEP.

“This is what that means: Your student will be withdrawn from their home campus and will be enrolled in DAEP,” said TISD Chief Operating Officer Steven Gutierrez. “They will not be allowed to attend any school related activities. They may be removed from school organizations and extracurricular activities.”

Vaping has led to many minors becoming addicted to nicotine. This law has been put in place to combat the rapid rise of nicotine addiction seen in teens and youth today. Nine percent of 8th graders have hit a vape, 10th graders at 14%, and 12th graders at 16%. These numbers in combination make it apparent that e-cigarettes have a hook among students all over the state.

“In a time when vaping is more accessible and glorified than ever, it shouldn’t be a surprise that any single bathroom you enter is near guaranteed to house a user,” student Killian Wright said. “This situation is something we need to get a grip on fast. It is only a matter of time before the demographic gets younger and younger.”

Many harmful chemicals can be found in vapes. Carcinogens such as formaldehyde. Propylene glycol found in paint solvents and antifreeze. Microparticles being inhaled deep in the lungs. All of these things are seriously dangerous to human health, and are especially dangerous to teens.