Fire destroys popular eatery

Los Cucos on Hwy 249 suffers devastating damage
Julielle Avila
Loc Cucos restaurant on Hwy 249 suffered massive damage in last week’s fire.

Jose Hernandez Jr.and his wife were enjoying lunch when the acrid scent of burning came rushing from the kitchen. Curiosity struck as the fire alarms rang loudly in their ears and smoke began to arise.

The smoke started to get thicker and the fire alarms activated,” Hernandez said. “Several people in the restaurant began screaming and rushed their way to the exit. At this point the entire restaurant was full of heavy gray smoke.”

Panic spread among the diner, the situation grew more chaotic as the smoke thickened and fire alarms blared, prompting a frenzied rush to the exit. 

“I was lost in that black smoke and was at one point ready to give up. She guided me to the exit where we eventually were treated by the ambulance.” Hernandez stated.

Amidst the devastation, sentiments of sorrow and nostalgia echoed through the parking lot as individuals, visibly moved, reflected on cherished memories while surveying the aftermath of the fire at Los Cucos

My heart is broken after seeing the complete loss that the fire left,” long-time customer Chelon Snell said. “So many people were coming through the parking lot, even saw a couple in tears, taking pictures and remembering so many times spent there, as far back as childhood.. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Los Cucos ‘family’ and to everyone involved in making this place home for so many. I hope that one day they can rebuild, until then, it just won’t be the same without them.”

While the fire has taken its toll, the hope remains that someday, the vibrant spirit of Los Cucos will rise from the ashes, and the shared experiences and connections forged within its walls will continue to live on in the hearts of all who were touched by its warmth and hospitality.