Course selection for Fall gets underway

Natalia Martinez

Different courses to take and what to consider

Natalia Martinez, News Editor

This week started up Course Selection for the 2023-2024 school year. Students were given a checklist to make sure they fill their required courses as well as a career planner for the future, the window is open until Feb. 13th.

1. Make sure to have your HAC login credentials
  2. Watch career planner video
  3. Explore the TISD course selection page
  4. Explore offerings and read course descriptions in TISD catalog.
  5. Use Course Selection Worksheet to plan out choices
  6. Login to HAC and course selection instructed in career plan video ***MUST USE STUDENT HAC CREDENTIALS****
  7. Save the course selection. Changes are available until Feb. 13
  8. Complete the Google form with you alternate choices.

Counselors have around 600 students each, making it almost impossible for them to be able to meet with each student individually.

My biggest advice is to go through this and actually go to each link,” said Lead Counselor Angela Howell, “actually kind of slow down, take your time, do your research on the courses.”

Once students have done that, then they should contact their counselors. Whether that be at lunch, through email, or the QR code at the bottom of the Course Selection Checklist.

Many students struggle to find the right courses for the upcoming year. Focusing on the Graduation Requirements helps narrow down the amount of classes left to fill in. Parents also received an email through their Parent Hub with slideshows that explains said requirement, as well as the counselor page on the Tomball website.

Incoming Sophomores are required to take Chemistry, but whether you take TAP or regular depends on the students learning style. TAP is more fast paced and in-depth while regular is at a slower pace/less in-depth.  Along with Chemistry, Geometry and Algebra 2 must be done before picking a higher math.

Not only are there TAP options but Sophomores are given the chance join their first AP class, World History AP.

This class is all about organization, attention, and details. Binders are your safety, keep them organized and make sure to use them as well as your notes as study guides for test. Mrs. Flies and Mrs. Mercers are both the WHAP teachers, not only that but Mercer is the AP Euro teacher. They’ve had a lot of experience working with students and have provided advice for those going into the class.

“They should really concentrate on growth, becoming stronger students that are going to set them up for more success in their other AP classes,” said Mrs. Flies, “but do not back away from that challenge and push yourself to persevere and work hard.”

Incoming Juniors, this is the year where you start to pick between the DC, AP, and regular classes. Click here for more information on the differences. English, Math, Science, and History all give the choice between the two. Asking past/present teachers can help determine what would be the best option.

If you are considering taking US History AP, this is for you:

“Think about your learning style and what you envision for yourself after you leave THS,” said APUSH teacher Melissa Harvey, “don’t be afraid to ask for recommendation from current teachers and peers. Often times their input can ultimately help you in those “on the fence” decisions.”

Mr. Taylor is the US History DC teacher, here’s some advice from him:

• Almost everyone receives college credit in DCUSH. As long as you do your work, pay attention, and turn assignments in on time, there should be no problem in passing.
  • DC Credit is good everywhere. It is a myth that DC credit does not transfer out of state – just about every college will take these credits. Worst case scenario, they grant elective credits if the college wants specific history classes taken at their school.
  • You can always do both! Take DC and guarantee the college credit AND take the AP Exam in the Spring.

“As for a day-to-day. I deliver content by lecturing,” said Mr. Taylor”, and then have students close class with some questions over the key concepts from the lecture.”

English is different for each person, the best advice would be to take to past English teachers about what would benefit you.

Incoming Seniors, this is the last year in high school. Government and Economics are required for the Senior class, but whether you take AP, DC, or regular all depends on different learning styles.

AP Government and Politics is more about the key political ideas, institutions, etc. of the United States. DC Government is more about the origin and development of the Constitution as well as other important national government structures and powers.

AP Macroeconomics focuses on the principles applied to economic systems as a whole, placing emphasis on national income and price-level determination. DC Macroeconomics is mostly about the analysis of the market economy.

Remember senior year is filled with fun activities; Prom, Senior Sunset & Sunrise, Senior Picnic, and more. Don’t overfill that schedule because you might miss out.