New bill would change curriculum requirements for public high schools

Lucas Botello, Senior Writer

Should the state pass House Bill 434, allowing students to take CTE courses to replace Fine Arts requirements?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
A new bill, House Bill 434, for the state of Texas would alter what can count as a fine art credit for students required to obtain that credit before graduation.

This would not affect the required credits for English, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies.

This new bill would add other classes to the list of fine arts and greatly affect fine arts classes. The smaller fine arts classes that have students for one year so they can receive the credit and focus on their other classes are at the greatest risk. This could lead to much lower numbers for fine arts classes that only have students for one year, like floral design, wildlife, and others.

Although the larger fine art classes such as Band, Orchestra, Choir, Theater, and Charms aren’t at as much of a risk of being diminished in numbers, the threat is still there.

Parents and students argue that they should have the option to take a regular fine arts class or one that can give the students the same feeling of fulfillment.

Rep. Keith Bell, a Republican who represents Texas House District 4, says he authored the bill to give students more flexibility in choosing their classes, especially for students who want to pursue a skilled trade and know they don’t have an interest in the fine arts.