End of era as Fry steps down as band director

Steve Fry is leaving as the band director for THS.

Kristen Lutz

Emily Ashlock, News Editor

Steve Fry, head director of bands for THS, is stepping down from his position at the end of this school year. The announcement brought a surge of emotions from many students who have bonded with Fry throughout his time here.

“I was beyond shocked,” senior Noah Schaberg said. “He’s always talked about where he expected to get this program in 10 and 20 years, so it’s upsetting to know he and we won’t get to see that fulfilled.”

Fry announced his departure with a “heavy heart,” stating that it was the “best” for his family, and himself.

“I believe that God opens and closes doors for a reason,” Fry said. “I am grateful for the opportunities and memories that we have shared being part of the Tomball High School band program.”

As Fry often directed beginner and veteran bands, he has been the only director many of the students have ever known, so the idea of having a new head director is an uncomfortable idea to some.

“Mr. Fry is like a father figure to me,” junior Hannah Steed said. “He’s been my band director since 6th grade and it’s going to be a lot different having a brand new director senior year.”

The younger members of the band were hit especially hard by Fry’s news, and were shocked to have such a big change their first year in band.

“I only got to spend one year with Mr. Fry as my director,” freshman Abril Villarreal said. “It definitely wasn’t enough time. I already had my suspicions since he dropped out of the Europe and spring trip. There were a couple more hints but I just hoped that I was wrong.”

Fry’s passion for the band program is what drives many students to the organization, like freshman Harmony Lopez. She was “heartbroken” that she was losing such an “amazing director.”

“I couldn’t even look at him without breaking down,” she said. “I was someone who quit band but was inspired to get back in because of him. Now I am someone who is committed to the band for my four years of high school.”

As the head director, all band students formed a relationship with Fry, like senior Taylor Pope, who was “absolutely devastated” and “cried the whole rest of the day” after hearing the announcement.

“Even though you may say that I’m graduating and it doesn’t matter, it matters a lot,” Pope said. “We could not have done what we did without his leadership. The band will always be one big happy family, but we will never forget what Mr. Fry did for us.”